Chats, Posts

#cjchat Transcript 8-29-10 – Bringing in the freshmen!

All times are Pacific Time
August 28, 2010
5:18 pm Chronotope: Hey #collegejourn – The first #cjchat of the Fall semester is this Sunday at 8 p.m. Our topic is Bringing in the freshmen!
7:02 pm TauhidChappell: RT @Chronotope: Hey #collegejourn – The first #cjchat of the Fall semester is this Sunday at 8 p.m. Our topic is Bringing in the freshmen!
7:55 pm AramZS: Hey #collegejourn – The first #cjchat of the Fall semester is this Sunday at 8 p.m. Our topic is Bringing in the freshmen!
August 29, 2010
7:55 pm collegejourn: Hey #collegejourn – The first #cjchat of the Fall semester is today at 8 p.m. Our topic is Bringing in the freshmen!
9:17 pm newzed: RT @collegejourn: Hey #collegejourn – The first #cjchat of the Fall semester is today at 8 p.m. Our topic is Bringing in the freshmen!
9:18 pm saragregory: RT @collegejourn: Hey #collegejourn – The first #cjchat of the Fall semester is today at 8 p.m. Our topic is Bringing in the freshmen!
11:12 pm Lenny_Neslin: Nice! RT @collegejourn: Hey #collegejourn – The first #cjchat of the Fall semester is today at 8 p.m. Our topic is Bringing in the freshmen!
11:21 pm collegejourn: Hey #collegejourn – The first #cjchat of the Fall semester is tonight at 8 p.m. Our topic is Bringing in the freshmen!
11:45 pm newzed: Join me for a #cjchat TweetChat at:http://tweetchat.com/room/cjchat #cjchat
11:54 pm AramZS: RT @newzed: Join me for a #cjchat TweetChat at:http://tweetchat.com/room/cjchat
August 30, 2010
collegejourn: Hello #collegejourn and welcome to the first #cjchat of the Fall semester and new school year. Our topic tonight is Bringing in the Freshmen
12:03 am Chronotope: Let’s introduce ourselves. Say who you are, what college you’re at and position you hold in your college media outlet. #cjchat#collegejourn
12:05 am saragregory: Hey #cjchat. I’m Sara Gregory, a UNC senior and @dailytarheel’s community manager.
12:05 am newzed: Good evening & welcome back all :) i’m El Heller, managing editor @outlookpress, student paper @sunyrockland in Suffern, NY #cjchat
12:06 am AramZS: Hey everyone, I’m Aram Zucker-Scharff @Chronotope and I am the community manager for @GMUStudentMedia (George Mason University) #cjchat
12:07 am Lenny_Neslin: What’s up everyone? My name is Lenny Neslin, I’m managing editor for The Quinnipiac Chronicle. Worked under @AndrewVazzano last yr. #cjchat
12:07 am AramZS: @TauhidChappell @Lenny_Neslin Hope you can join us for #cjchat tonight?
12:08 am AramZS: @saragregory @newzed Welcome, glad to have you here tonight! #cjchat
12:12 am AramZS: Q1: Recruiting Freshmen? Have you reached out to them over summer, how are you following up to bring them in? #cjchat
12:14 am TauhidChappell: Crud! I’m late!! #cjchat
12:14 am Lenny_Neslin: Don’t think we’ve reached out to anyone this summer. Our main source of recruiting is an involvement fair early on in the semester. #cjchat
12:15 am saragregory: We send all freshmen a “welcome to UNC” issue in the summer. Follow up at Fall Fest (a school organization fair before class). Q1 #cjchat
12:15 am newzed: Q1: staff attended orientation & spoke to students. we also went to the honors orientation. a bunch of talented students there. #cjchat
12:15 am AramZS: @TauhidChappell @Lenny_Neslin Hi! Good to have you here! #cjchat
12:15 am TauhidChappell: Q1: We had this thing called Gobblerfest which is a festival for everyone in the community.A lot of student clubs/local businesses– #cjchat
12:16 am saragregory: Q1 We also have interest meetings the first few weeks of school and give tours of our office. #cjchat
12:17 am TauhidChappell: Q1 reserve tables up and down this long street and try to recruit students/potential employees.We had a table up from 11 a.m.- 7 p.m #cjchat
12:17 am collegejourn: Q1: Recruiting Freshmen? Have you reached out to them over summer, how are you following up to bring them in? #cjchat
12:17 am Lenny_Neslin: @saragregory I like your idea of a welcome issue. What sort of stuff do you include in it? How long? Send PDF via email? #cjchat
12:17 am AramZS: @Lenny_Neslin We’ve reached a lot of freshmen during Mason’s orientation sessions. A lot of people signed up at least :) #cjchat
12:17 am TauhidChappell: Q1: Also using Facebook/Twitter to reach out and get freshmen interested. #cjchat
12:18 am AramZS: @saragregory I like that idea, office tours sounds like a good way to pull interested people in. #cjchat
12:18 am newzed: Q1: we will also continue to invite students to our club meetings so can see who we are. #cjchat
12:19 am Lenny_Neslin: @AramZS Good stuff. Definitely something to think about implementing for next year. #cjchat
12:19 am TauhidChappell: Belated intro: I’m Tauhid Chappell and I’m the Executive Editor for Planet @blacksburg, a student run media org at Virginia Tech #cjchat
12:20 am saragregory: @Lenny_Neslin Our summer staff puts it out just like the usual paper. Articles like “best places to study” etc. that gets mailed. #cjchat
12:21 am AramZS: RT @Lenny_Neslin: @saragregory I like your idea of a welcome issue. Send PDF via email? [You could post it and send us the link :) ] #cjchat
12:21 am AramZS: @saragregory Is there a lot of re-printable evergreen content in your welcome issue? #cjchat
12:21 am Lenny_Neslin: @saragregory Having a summer staff would be nice. Ha. Our best bet would be to get together some time over the summer and design it. #cjchat
12:22 am saragregory: @AramZS @Lenny_Neslin Can’t find a PDF online and not in the office now. I could e-mail it to you if you DM me your addresses. #cjchat
12:23 am AramZS: @Lenny_Neslin I know that our paper has folks come in a week early to work on the first issue. Perhaps that’s an option? #cjchat
12:24 am Chronotope: @saragregory Very cool. Do you do any demoing of tech or procedure or just walk them around the office? #cjchat
12:24 am TauhidChappell: @saragregory I really like the @dailytarheel’s web design! :)#cjchat
12:25 am Lenny_Neslin: FYI: My paper’s website is www.quchronicle.com We’re on Facebook and Twitter too. #cjchat
12:26 am newzed: here is a “Freshman Survival Guide” from the @dailyemerald(PDF & Online) #cjchat
12:26 am Shishev: RT @TauhidChappell #cjchat http://bit.ly/9E6jDz
12:28 am AramZS: @Lenny_Neslin Great website. I see you use Issuu, was it easy to set up? #cjchat
12:28 am AramZS: @newzed I think you left off the link. #cjchat
12:29 am AramZS: By the way, if you have a question you’d like us to discuss just @ reply me. #collegejourn #cjchat
12:29 am newzed: woops, here is the link folks:http://www.dailyemerald.com/magazine #cjchat
12:30 am AramZS: @saragregory So you mail the issue to all the freshmen’s homes? Isn’t that expensive? #cjchat
12:30 am Lenny_Neslin: @AramZS Very easy to instal. Issuu is a great sidebar widget for newspaper websites. It tracks views for you, I think. #cjchat
12:31 am Lenny_Neslin: Great, great newspaper website. Powered by MTV?? RT @newzed: woops, here is the link folks:http://www.dailyemerald.com/magazine #cjchat
12:31 am AramZS: RT @newzed: woops, here is the link folks:http://www.dailyemerald.com/magazine [Daily Emerald’s freshmen guide. Nifty.] #cjchat
12:32 am saragregory: @AramZS I’m not sure the cost to mail it, but it’s well-supported with advertising. #cjchat
12:32 am newzed: @Lenny_Neslin yes, it’s running on @collegepublish #cjchat
12:34 am AramZS: Ok. Moving on to Q2 now, though feel free to continue discussion on Q1 as well. #cjchat
12:36 am AramZS: Q2: The incoming class is more mobile + social media savvy then ever. How are you reaching out to them via new media? #cjchat#collegejourn
12:36 am collegejourn: Q2: The incoming class is more mobile + social media savvy then ever. How are you reaching out to them via new media? #cjchat#collegejourn
12:37 am newzed: re: issuu, be sure to check out their “shelf” feature. great for archives. (sample: http://www.outlookpress.org/2.10751) #cjchat
12:37 am TauhidChappell: Q2: Facebook primarily.A lot of #hokies are on facebook, but not many are on Twitter. Hoping to introduce Twitter to our new members #cjchat
12:37 am AramZS: @AndrewVazzano @Lenny_Neslin Good to know. We’ve been using a custom program, but I’ll have to look into switching. Thanks. #cjchat
12:38 am TauhidChappell: Once we introduce Twitter…Will have to teach how to tweet efficiently and effectively as a journalist. That’ll be fun #Ithink#cjchat
12:38 am newzed: @AndrewVazzano not sure if any one responded, we are @OutlookPress #cjchat
12:40 am newzed: Q2: it’s facebook for us. twitter hasn’t taken off yet in our school (or so it seems) #cjchat
12:40 am AramZS: We’ve been looking into using QR/Barcodes in our posters and ads. We want mobile-ready links to sites and specific content. #cjchat
12:41 am TauhidChappell: RT @collegejourn: Q2: The incoming class is more mobile + social media savvy then ever. How are you reaching out to them via new media? #cjchat #collegejourn
12:41 am saragregory: Q2 We reach out via @dailytarheel, Facebook mainly. Have been active on the UNC class of 2014 Facebook page and other UNC groups. #cjchat
12:42 am AramZS: @AndrewVazzano Not sure, but still a decent number are on CP. Just look at the Pacemakers – http://bit.ly/a1w9uj #cjchat
12:43 am AramZS: @saragregory Interesting. Most of our activity is on our own page, not inside their groups. Have you had a good response? #cjchat
12:44 am saragregory: @newzed @TauhidChappell I find the majority of UNC students who have Twitter protect their accounts. Facebook still dominates. #cjchat
12:45 am AramZS: @AndrewVazzano I concur. I think that the #collegejourn scene is slowly but surely moving away from CP because of that. #cjchat
12:45 am newzed: @AramZS @AndrewVazzano CP has become more aggressive in showcasing customization. see recent blog posthttp://bit.ly/bjYIWM #cjchat
12:46 am AramZS: @saragregory We have a growing number of Twitter users [see: @GMUStudentMedia/ultimate-gmu-list ] that we try to keep up with. #cjchat
12:46 am AramZS: @newzed I expect they have to be. The field has quickly gone from no competition to a lot of competition. #cjchat
12:47 am Amadeus3000: @AramZS We’re talking about QR codes now, too. Put them on the front page. Scan and read the “paper” on your phone. #cjchat
12:48 am newzed: @AramZS @AndrewVazzano sorry, this is the link i wantedhttp://bit.ly/9xQf2y interesting post visualizing top sites on CP #cjchat
12:48 am saragregory: @AramZS I’d say decent. I also try to tag UNC pages when I post a link to an article on our page that involves their group. #cjchat
12:49 am Amadeus3000: Anthony Capps. An editor at the Iowa State Daily. Also trying to pay attention to the Emmys. #cjchat
12:52 am AramZS: @newzed Huh. If there’s a lack of inspiration, someone should put together list of good looking #collegejourn sites for reference #cjchat
12:52 am AramZS: @Amadeus3000 Welcome! I honestly forgot all about the Emmys >.< #cjchat
12:53 am TauhidChappell: @AramZS I like that idea! #cjchat
12:54 am AramZS: @Amadeus3000 We’ve been looking at that as well.http://www.stickybits.com/ looks like it might have some potential also. #cjchat
12:55 am AramZS: @AndrewVazzano Really? That’s unpleasant sounding. Most of the people I’ve talked to have had a smooth transition out of CP. #cjchat
12:56 am AramZS: Tip: If you want to use QR codes, you can get the small 100×100 kind here – http://createqrcode.appspot.com/ #cjchat
12:57 am newzed: @AramZS @TauhidChappell you can start herehttp://www.collegemediainnovation.org/blog/ &http://collegemediamatters.com/ #cjchat
12:57 am AramZS: I’d love to use StickyBits to create commenting areas and virtual mini-tours on objects around campus. The app is still a lil rough #cjchat
12:57 am Lenny_Neslin: Loving this idea. RT @AramZS: Tip: If you want to use QR codes, you can get the small 100×100 kind here –http://bit.ly/amxbru #cjchat
12:57 am Amadeus3000: @collegejourn Q1 Reference: We have a Daily Directoryhttp://bit.ly/9qjdPk … then a Welcome Back editionhttp://bit.ly/bTyJPd #cjchat
12:59 am AramZS: @newzed We should really put together a list of them, all in one place, with screenshots and thumbnails. Something more accessible. #cjchat
12:59 am AramZS: @Lenny_Neslin We’ve been putting them in posters around campus. Some link to the site, others to specific articles. #cjchat
1:00 am collegejourn: Q3: What positions do you make available to Freshmen in your #collegejourn outlet? Where do you recommend they go? #cjchat
1:00 am AramZS: Q3: What positions do you make available to Freshmen in your #collegejourn outlet? Where do you recommend they go? #cjchat
1:00 am AramZS: @AndrewVazzano I can imagine #cjchat
1:00 am newzed: @AramZS sure, we can do it together :) #cjchat
1:01 am AramZS: @newzed Sounds good to me :) #cjchat
1:01 am tgounley: Hey, #cjchat. Thomas Gounley, Executive Editor of @thenewhampshire.
1:02 am saragregory: Q3 Freshmen work one day a week for us their first semester. Usually aren’t hired as editors until after second semester. #cjchat
1:02 am AramZS: We actually had an incoming freshmen who lived locally come in over the summer interested in writing right away. #cjchat
1:02 am AramZS: But enthusiasm may not = reliability or quality. How do you work with that? #cjchat
1:03 am newzed: Q3: start of as contributing writers, after set amount of articles become staff, then are offered promotion as appropriate. #cjchat
1:03 am tgounley: Q1 Come back few days early and put together an issue for freshmen. “Freshman 15″ theme this year- 15 articles about surviving UNH #cjchat
1:03 am AramZS: RT @andrewvazzano: Oh, people, if you know any out of work journalism graduates (possible in CT), let them know we’re hiring and to contact me. #cjchat
1:04 am AramZS: @tgounley Welcome! #cjchat
1:04 am Amadeus3000: @AramZS We discussed how to use QRs in special sections (specially our bar guide). Use the codes as another online refer. #cjchat
1:04 am saragregory: Q3 They also must attend a certain number of weekly seminars led by our adviser. Basic writing, reporting, newsroom advice. #cjchat
1:04 am Lenny_Neslin: Same RT @newzed: Q3: start of as contributing writers, after set amount of articles become staff, then are offered promotion (maybe) #cjchat
1:04 am saragregory: That’s all new as of last year, and really helped us retain freshmen! They got lots of one-on-one help and didn’t feel so lost. #cjchat
1:05 am tgounley: Q3 #cjchat Most everyone starts as contributing writers. Good ones become staff writers, eds eventually. Different for design, photogs.
1:06 am AramZS: @saragregory That’s good. Do you know about how much time ended up going into the freshmen help sessions? #cjchat
1:06 am saragregory: @AramZS We let local incoming freshmen work over the summer. They get a lot of hand-holding until we see what they’re capable of. #cjchat
1:07 am Amadeus3000: Q3: Get the programmers / developers / web geeks. However, few organizations have the money those people can earn elsewhere… #cjchat
1:07 am tgounley: Q3 #cjchat Looking to offer a little more one-on-one guidance between eds and freshmen writers this year. Often aren’t in journo classes.
1:07 am AramZS: Do you have any specific projects for freshmen? #cjchat
1:07 am TauhidChappell: Q3: (part/full-time)Photographers,writers,editors,reporters,videographers. We have established officer positions for the time being.#cjchat
1:08 am AramZS: @Amadeus3000 I’ve encountered a bunch, but many don’t come in thinking that a media outlet is something that would interest them #cjchat
1:09 am AramZS: @Amadeus3000 What can you say to appeal to the more technically-able freshmen to get them on board? #cjchat
1:09 am newzed: @tgounley same here, many students join as a way to be involved. don’t necessarily want to study journalism. #cjchat
1:09 am saragregory: @AramZS There were 7 hour-long sessions a semester last year. Our adviser usually offered 2 time slots, so 14 hours + planning time. #cjchat
1:11 am AramZS: @saragregory Intense. Freshmen sat through the whole 7 hours or was it split up among individual time with multiple people? #cjchat
1:11 am tgounley: @newzed Yeah. Plus, typical journalism student still doesn’t take basic newswriting class until 3rd semester. So ability varies. #cjchat
1:11 am newzed: @AramZS @saragregory i guess at a larger paper that’s possible. at our community college that would never happen. #cjchat
1:11 am Amadeus3000: New freshmen reporters are just like any reporter. Must go through training. Attend section meetings. Produce content like others. #cjchat
1:11 am saragregory: @AramZS Sorry, that was seven sessions of one hour each. They had to attend four. Different speakers, topics each time. #cjchat
1:12 am AramZS: @newzed @tgounley Definitely important to train them all the same. Do you need different approaches for j-students/non-j-students? #cjchat
1:13 am Lenny_Neslin: We’ve had P.T. majors join our paper. Our sports section is by far our largest section (by people) despite our sub-par sports teams. #cjchat
1:14 am AramZS: @Lenny_Neslin People get really intense about their sports teams, whatever their quality :) . #cjchat
1:15 am Amadeus3000: @AramZS Offer the possible developers a vision. Here’s our ambitions – mobile, apps, post-web. You can create it. Leave a legacy. #cjchat
1:15 am TauhidChappell: I like the idea of holding training sessions separate from a general meeting. Problem is scheduling these sessions. #cjchat
1:15 am AramZS: RT @Amadeus3000: @AramZS Offer the possible developers a vision. Here’s our ambitions – mobile, apps, post-web. You can create it. Leave a legacy. #cjchat
1:16 am Lenny_Neslin: @AramZS Very true. I was the sports editor last year and I didn’t know what to say to other editors about retaining my large group. #cjchat
1:17 am Lenny_Neslin: @TauhidChappell Last year I led a sportswriters workshop – obviously a lot easier to schedule with smaller groups. Do that maybe? #cjchat
1:20 am AramZS: @Lenny_Neslin @TauhidChappell We also ran section-internal training at one point. Still hard to schedule. :/ #cjchat
1:21 am Amadeus3000: @Lenny_Neslin When an editor hits 8 reporters I think they’ve maxed out. When they reach 9, time to find a second editor. #cjchat
1:21 am TauhidChappell: @Lenny_Neslin Good idea. I’ll be looking at my officers to lead their teams and train whoever needs it. #cjchat
1:21 am Lenny_Neslin: @AramZS @TauhidChappell Best way to get around that? Throw free food at them. Pizza works like a charm! #cjchat
1:22 am AramZS: @Amadeus3000 Good to know. Have you had 3 or more editors in a section? Is it difficult to coordinate them? #cjchat
1:22 am Lenny_Neslin: @Amadeus3000 I experienced this last year. Had 10+ kids turn out for each meeting. I took it on alone for a while, but it was a lot. #cjchat
1:23 am AramZS: Question 4 in three minutes. Is there something you want to ask the group? @ reply me to have your question included. #cjchat
1:25 am williampd: Is #cjchat still going on? William P. Davis, former editor of @TheMaineCampus and online editor of @BangorDailyNews
1:25 am AramZS: @Lenny_Neslin Ah, Pizza, the ultimate college recruitment tool ;-) #cjchat
1:25 am AramZS: @williampd Yes and Welcome! We go until 10. #cjchat
1:26 am Lenny_Neslin: @AramZS Question idea: How often do you put out your paper? Include your staff’s total size. #cjchat
1:26 am AramZS: Q4: Training staff, new and old. Obviously a big issue. What are your favorite training materials and techniques? #collegejourn#cjchat
1:26 am collegejourn: Q4: Training staff, new and old. Obviously a big issue. What are your favorite training materials and techniques? #collegejourn#cjchat
1:28 am Lenny_Neslin: Biggest problem school newspapers have are writers not hitting deadlines. Solution: Great communication. Get cells, IM, email, etc. #cjchat
1:29 am williampd: @AramZS Oh goody. I’ve never actually joined in. #cjchat
1:30 am AramZS: @Lenny_Neslin Have you seen one communications method keep them on task better than others? #cjchat
1:30 am AramZS: @williampd :) Well, glad to have you this time. Hopefully you’ll make it to future chats as well. #cjchat
1:31 am newzed: @williampd hey, do you know what’s running mainecampus.com? #cjchat
1:31 am Lenny_Neslin: @AramZS Q4: Pop quizzes at general staff meetings. We also come back to school a weekish early for training sessions each semester. #cjchat
1:32 am williampd: #cjchat Q4: I made a custom test for training copy editors, etc. Materials should be custom to cover problems that differ paper-to-paper.
1:32 am Amadeus3000: @AramZS The news reporters are divided among 4 assistant news editors. They’re overseen by the news editor, who’s big picture-minded #cjchat
1:32 am AramZS: @newzed Interesting WP skin they have there. #cjchat
1:33 am Lenny_Neslin: @AramZS Cell phone #s by far. AIM second. Last year I texted my writers for in-game updates. I texted them deadlines. #cjchat
1:33 am TauhidChappell: RT @collegejourn: Q4: Training staff, new and old. Obviously a big issue. What are your favorite training materials and techniques? #collegejourn #cjchat
1:33 am williampd: @newzed Don’t remember the name at the second, but I can get it for you later. Why? #cjchat
1:33 am AramZS: @williampd @Lenny_Neslin – Interesting. We have copy tests also, but not for contributers. I’d love to see some examples? #cjchat
1:34 am AramZS: @Lenny_Neslin Nifty. We don’t see a lot of AIM users at Mason anymore. Mostly Facebook chat now. #cjchat
1:35 am Lenny_Neslin: @williampd I like the idea of creating tests for copy editors-in-training. I’m on it! @QUChronicle #cjchat
1:36 am AramZS: @Lenny_Neslin Yeah. Years ago we had a problem with the quality of copy editors’ work, that was when we put together the test. #cjchat
1:36 am AramZS: Curiosity: How many of you have in-house style guides? #cjchat
1:36 am newzed: @williampd reminds me somewhat of http://www.idsnews.com & nyt. just curious. #cjchat
1:36 am williampd: @AramZS Test includes grammar, style and university-specific knowledge. Part of it’s at http://bit.ly/baznsA #cjchat
1:37 am TauhidChappell: @Lenny_Neslin Good idea. Keeps them coming back to meetings for one thing! #cjchat
1:39 am williampd: @Lenny_Neslin I gave it to all the assignment editors, as well. Really gave me a good idea of where our editing weaknesses were. #cjchat
1:41 am Amadeus3000: @AramZS Our in-house style guide has about 300 entries. #cjchat
1:41 am AramZS: @newzed @newzed Yeah, it looks like that was what they were going for. They’ve done a pretty good job of it too. Wonder what theme. #cjchat
1:41 am AramZS: Q5 arrives in 4 minutes. #cjchat
1:42 am riocarmine: #cjchat Mario Moretto, former news editor for @themainecampus, current copy editor for Kennebec journal @kj_online
1:43 am AramZS: @riocarmine Welcome! Glad to have you here! #cjchat
1:44 am Lenny_Neslin: @riocarmine Glad to see some college newspaper grads are getting jobs. How’s the real world? #cjchat #journalism
1:44 am williampd: @riocarmine Heyyyyoooooo! #cjchat
1:44 am AramZS: @Amadeus3000 Mostly stuff relevant directly to your university or specific style choices that are applied generally? #cjchat
1:44 am Amadeus3000: @williampd @AramZS We’ve considered a grammar/university quiz for everyone in the application process. #cjchat
1:44 am AramZS: @Amadeus3000 What about freshmen who may not know as much about the university yet? #cjchat
1:45 am collegejourn: Q5 (via @Lenny_Neslin ) – How often do you put out your paper? Include your staff’s total size. #cjchat #collegejourn
1:45 am AramZS: Q5 (via @Lenny_Neslin ) – How often do you put out your paper? Include your staff’s total size. #cjchat #collegejourn
1:46 am williampd: @Amadeus3000 @AramZS Tests are important for finding faults, but don’t let them dominate. Look for promise, as well. #cjchat
1:47 am newzed: Q5: our paper comes out every two weeks (don’t laugh, it used to be monthly). our staff size varies. #cjchat
1:48 am AramZS: Broadside, @GMUStudentMedia ’s print paper, is released every Monday during the school year. #cjchat
1:48 am Lenny_Neslin: @newzed Please ballpark it for us (me). I’m very curious. #cjchat
1:49 am riocarmine: Q5: Our paper was twice-weekly, with a senior editor staff of about 10, plus a couple dozen or so hourly staff and freelancers. #cjchat
1:49 am williampd: #cjchat Q5: @TheMaineCampus puts out twice a week. EIC, 8 editors, 2 asst. editors, 6 copy editors, 3 designers, varying writing staff + biz
1:50 am Amadeus3000: @AramZS Half and half. The guide is kept online so it changes regularly. Mostly clarification if someone sees various options #cjchat
1:51 am riocarmine: #cjchat Q5: What @williampd said.
1:51 am AramZS: Broadside has about 17-20 senior staff, 4 copy editors, 2 designers and an extremely variable set of contributers. #cjchat
1:51 am Lenny_Neslin: @williampd We’re a little smaller than you, but we go weekly. What days do you put out? We go Wednesday. #cjchat
1:52 am saragregory: Q5 We’re daily Monday-Friday, with an EIC, managing editor, about 40 paid editors and 150 or so volunteer staffers #cjchat
1:52 am AramZS: @Amadeus3000 Good call with that. Our style guide is still print and bound. On what platform do you maintain your guide? #cjchat
1:53 am newzed: @saragregory okay, things are starting make sense here… #cjchat
1:54 am AramZS: @saragregory *jealous* :) #cjchat
1:55 am AramZS: @Lenny_Neslin I always wonder if it might be wiser to go out mid-week. W/a Mon paper we have trouble covering weekend events. #cjchat
1:55 am newzed: @saragregory how many work on the design? #cjchat
1:56 am Lenny_Neslin: I think we need a separate chat for rich, giant school papers like @saragregory’s. #justkidding #cjchat
1:57 am Lenny_Neslin: @AramZS Mid-week is nice. Weekends are free for designing, but so many events need to be covered and aren’t newsworthy a week later. #cjchat
1:57 am AramZS: @Lenny_Neslin :( – It’s also a matter of ad support. Bringing in money = more paper and staff. #cjchat
1:58 am saragregory: @newzed There are typically three or four design editors, maybe 10ish staffers. @kellymchugh would know for sure. #cjchat
1:59 am saragregory: @newzed @Lenny_Neslin Staff retention, getting folks excited, keeping them excited, etc… still a struggle for larger papers too. #cjchat
1:59 am AramZS: Wrapping up: Please come by again this time next week for the next #collegejourn chat. Submit topic ideas for next week to me via @ #cjchat
2:00 am TauhidChappell: Q5: No paper! Strictily online :-) #cjchat
2:00 am AramZS: I’ll also be putting up an archive of this chat at collegejourn.com, which I’m hoping to update (as a site) soon. #cjchat
2:01 am newzed: TIP: i post relevant links throughout the week w/ the tag #collegejourn #cjchat
2:01 am Amadeus3000: Q5 Mon-Fri paper. EIC, 2 MEs 22 editors, 40+ reporters. 20 in copy/design. 16 ad reps. 4 online dev. 12 in ad creation. All pay. #cjchat
2:01 am AramZS: And finally, if you are not already on the list athttp://twitter.com/Chronotope/collegejourn – tell me so I can put you on. #cjchat
2:01 am saragregory: RT @newzed: TIP: i post relevant links throughout the week w/ the tag #collegejourn #cjchat
2:01 am TauhidChappell: @AramZS Another great #cjchat! Glad it’s back!
2:01 am newzed: thanks for chatting, good night :) #cjchat
2:02 am riocarmine: To all my non-newsy twitter friends: Sorry for the #cjchat clutter.
2:03 am AramZS: @riocarmine I actually set up a separate account for chat because of that problem. My main account is @Chronotope #cjchat
2:03 am williampd: @Lenny_Neslin Mondays and Thursdays. #cjchat
2:03 am AramZS: RT @saragregory: RT @newzed: TIP: i post relevant links throughout the week w/ the tag #collegejourn #cjchat
2:03 am williampd: FYI, all our editors are salaried, copy editors and designers are hourly, writers are paid by the article. #cjchat
2:04 am Lenny_Neslin: Madness, but awesomeness. RT @Amadeus3000: Q5 Mon-Fri paper. EIC, 2 MEs 22 editors, 40+ reporters. 20 in copy/design… All pay. #cjchat
2:04 am AramZS: Thank you to everyone who made it tonight! I hope to chat with you soon. Good night and good luck with your new year/classes. #cjchat
2:08 am Lenny_Neslin: Just printed out @williampd’s copy editing test.http://bit.ly/bBb4o5 Great chat, I’ll be back next week! #cjchat
2:11 am Lenny_Neslin: @saragregory Gotta make it fun! I definitely suggest social outings (dinner, sporting event) for newspaper staff/e-board #cjchat

Tags: ,